Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: New member - help will be needed!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

I've had the back off, and can't see any missing screws. I'm assuming the screw you mentioned is the one to the left of the serial number. I think this is what would need to be partially undone to fit the stem, am I right? If so, it's definitely there.

I'm certainly going to keep eyes out for spare 607 movement, but a bit pricey aren't they!!!

Anyway, had a close look on inside of back case (last digits match the front) and it says...

Illinois watch
Special model b
Fahys
Gold filled

So I guess there be gold in them there case?

I'm getting more and more amazed at the miniscule detail in these little beauties. So rare to find such fine craftsmanship and beauty in objects

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:36 pm 

You are correct on the detent screw. Glad it is still present. Thank you for clarifying on the case. Your case is a 14K gold filled case, meaning each piece starts out as a base metal. Gold is applied to each side of the metals, over the base metal. Depending on how many years the case is warranted for equates to how many layers of gold were applied to the case. If it was warranted for 25 years then the case was guaranteed to not have any ware through for 25 years. Warranted 25 years is the max amount of gold before you get into solid gold cases from what I have seen and read.

The Ensign is a very nice watch, it's big brother would be the Mate. I have been on the hunt for a good condition smooth bezel Mate for sometime now with no success. I used to have an Ensign myself, very striking piece indeed!

Good luck on your hunt for a spare movement!

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the info Jon. Appreciated. Out of interest, How would one find out how many years a watch was warranted/layers of gold used?

There's a nice looking Mate on eBay at the moment, maybe worth a look?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:28 pm 

OK, it's official...getting a bit addicted. Apologies to all the Illinois die-hards, but have just bought a couple of nice Hamiltons as well. Liked the look of them, and the prices seemed good (though not on same level as my Ensign I hasten to add)...

Firstly, what I believe to be a Hamilton Boyd, missing it's crystal...

Attachment:
Screenshot_20161221-194755.png
Screenshot_20161221-194755.png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 163 times ]

And secondly a Hamilton Martin, needing a new crystal...

Attachment:
Screenshot_20161221-194900.png
Screenshot_20161221-194900.png [ 941.58 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

Bought together for the total sum of £115.

Will be a while before the purse strings are loosened to get any more I feel!

Andrew.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:51 pm 

Very Nice. See how easy you fall prey to the disease?

Don't worry, we all have it. I can stop any time.

I'm pretty sure I have the crystal for the Boyd and positively on the Martin both in glass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:57 pm 

I was wrong on the detent screw. You will not be able to see if the screw is present with the movement inside of the case. The movement has to be removed from the case to see this screw. Please don't attempt unless you have the correct tools and skill.

The vintage watch hobby is a fun one, welcome! You made the right choice going with Hamilton's. Illinois and Hamilton were two of the top high grade watch companies based in the US. Elgin and Waltham are ok. They made several excellent models but the majority of movements they used had very low jewel counts. Low jewel count does not necessarily mean bad quality, but without jeweling, pivots will wear to the point of needing replacement. Jewels are very tough and rarely wear out, saving the pivots and creating less wear overall to the watch movement. I am not aware that Hamilton or Illinois went below 15J. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong. Hamilton is an excellent brand and quality build. Your two watches look between the 1940's to 1950's time period. Do you have a watch repairman/restorer working to get these nice pieces back in running order? International dial in the USA does an exquisite job re-finishing dials.

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:27 am 

Update...Hamiltons... Arrived quickly in post today. Haven't had a chance to open Boyd yet(dragged out for last minute Xmas shopping!!! Grrr), but Hamilton Martin is lovely. Case appears unmarked, apart from a TINY bit of wear on one lug, which is only visible in really bright light.

Running really well, keeping good time, correct hands, second hand correct etc, yes dial needs a clean, but I think I am just going to carefully clean it up and keep it original rather than go full out on the thing.

And to answer question, no I don't have good watch repairer to service them yet, but am making enquiries to find a good one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:22 pm 

Only use true Burgeon Rodico to clean that dial. Make sure you roll it as applied to the dial. Rodico is an excellent professional watch tool that can be bought for around 6 dollars on Ebay or any online watch store. Rodico ensures you do not do damage to the dial when cleaning. Be sure you rub across the numbers only, if you blot over them there is a chance you could lift the gold numbers off the dial. They are set in via little feet and attach to the dial this way. If you are needing watch repair, I could offer cleaning and servicing for you. Don't know if you would be interested as I am in the USA. I too avoid dial refinishing if possible at all costs as it can diminish the value of the vintage watch in question.

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 pm 

Thanks for hint on burgeon rodico Jon. Pack ordered, plus I have acquired a couple of junker watches to practice cleaning first. Not going to attempt any internal repair work - I'm an engineer, but of the boiler/heating kind, so not used to quite so delicate work. Will post pictures up when cleaned first dial.

Hamilton Martin running really well, but crystal loose so can't wear it until new crystal ordered. Boyd running for a long time, but hands only moving round slowly. Some resto work needed here then.

Thanks for the offer of cleaning etc Jon, but costs would probably be too much, including postage etc to the US. I think I'd better find a UK watch expert to clean/service, as if they do a good job, would want them to restore the Rolex, and would want fully insured postage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm 

Yes, repairs state-side would not be cost effective. I failed to see you are in the UK. That is great you are interested in learning how to clean these vintage watches. Make sure you read up carefully before attempting any cleaning. Very easy to disrupt or damage a part if care is not taken to the upmost degree. If you do attempt to clean the movement it would be wise to invest in a pair of high grade screwdrivers for dial screw disassembly, balance cock disassembly, and high grade hands puller. The rest of the watch can be assembled when cleaning as long as all checks out ok first. Burgeon screwdrivers are recommended by many. Make sure you have a cleaning machine that is meant for watch cleaning. Even though your vintage Hamilton's are running, I would advise not running them further as an un-cleaned movement can induce wear to the watch parts, especially those which move at a fast rate, escape wheel, balance pivots, pallet. You really want to clean and then oil the movement in question before running fully. Be sure to oil properly as excess or too little oil can damage further. There is a ton to learn just for cleaning. It is a fun hobby though and can be very rewarding seeing that old piece running like new again!

Jon