New member - help will be needed!

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
mrcardigan

Re: New member - help will be needed!

#21 Post by mrcardigan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks Jon.

Message read and understood. Having had the back off all the watches to admire their internals, I really don't think I am going to attempt cleaning them myself. I've managed to clean up the Boyd dial a bit with the rodico, but it's still a really messy dial. I was hoping to keep it original, but may need to consider a redial after all.

I'm self employed running my own Plumbing company, and think learning to restore them will have the potential to take so much of my time up as to make it uneconomic. Far better to find a good (local) :) watch restorer who can take it on, and I'll go out and earn the money to pay them, in less time than it would take me to do it, but with better results.

On top of that, I've got 2 young daughters and a toddler son, and a 1961 Triumph Tiger Cub motorbike to finish, so time is at a bit of a premium!
Andy :)

mrcardigan

#22 Post by mrcardigan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Whoops - done it again...bought another watch.
$_3 (1).JPG
$_3 (1).JPG (51.17 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Not certain, but from photos it MAY be one of the 1941 coral gold hamilton myrons. I'll let you know when it arrives. Dial obviously has some damage, can't really tell how bad it is, but don't really care, as got it for grand sum of £33!
$_3.JPG
$_3.JPG (55.65 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I seem to be collecting more Hamiltons then Illinois. So apologies I seem to be posting on wrong forum. I'll post future topics in the right place I promise! :)

Andy

mrcardigan

#23 Post by mrcardigan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Also, intrigued, waiting to find out...
A - what has caused that blobbing around the seconds dial and
B - what that silver square is in the top right of the main dial.
C - whether a new second hand can go straight on, or whether it needs a new wheel inside?

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Andy.

Illinois281989

#24 Post by Illinois281989 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Hard to answer your questions without a closer look. It is very safe to say that your Hamilton has been worked on before. Hope the internal movement is complete and not missing any parts. With the second hand missing, there is a 50/50 chance that the fourth wheel pivot is broken. I am currently working on a 1930 Illinois Speedway with this same visible issue. The second hand was missing when purchased. Come to find out through further visual inspection that the pivot protruding through the pillar plate (dial side) was broken. That material covering the seconds on your watch could just be contaminants that can be cleared via Rodico. Will have to see if it is dial damage or foreign material.

Nice Hamilton!

Jon
"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

mrcardigan

#25 Post by mrcardigan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm a bit hopeful, as photo of internals looks 'ok'
$_3 (2).JPG
$_3 (2).JPG (72.02 KiB) Viewed 342 times
For me that's part of the excitement - trying to work out from a few fuzzy pictures if something is worth getting. In my view, if I can get it for that price, then it is worth a punt, as surely even a rebuild and redial wouldn't come to much more than the total value anyway, and I'd then have a lovely serviced watch.