Illinois Consul

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
slinfiniti

Illinois Consul

#1 Post by slinfiniti » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:52 am

I need some advice. I picked this watch up not too long ago. I must admit that I am more of a WW1 watch guy, rather than Late 1920's to 1930's. But this one for some reason spoke to me. I need some help in better identifying what I actually have. I know it is a Illinois Model 152 AKA Consul, beyond that, I would love more information

I would appreciate any advice I could get. I have read some, but I would prefer to get the information from the source.

Slinfiniti
Attachments
Dial.jpg
Dial.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Movement.jpg
Movement.jpg (89.57 KiB) Viewed 927 times

Magpie

Re: Illinois Consul

#2 Post by Magpie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:05 am

What color is it? White gold? (On my monitor it looks yellowish.)

slinfiniti

#3 Post by slinfiniti » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:11 am

14 karat white gold

Magpie

#4 Post by Magpie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks! (My eyes are tired this morning and I didn't see the "white gold" wording on the pic of the inside case back. Knew the model was 14K solid, of course.) I see that the midcase is also 14K (some were nickel and marked as such). Perhaps others whose eyes are functioning better than mine this morning will comment about whether the midcase code marking and inside case back numbers seem to match. (Rick? Greg?)

I understand that there will be a ton of new information about the "Consul" (as well as other models) in Fred Friedberg's upcoming Illinois book, but we're presently in waiting mode (at the mercy of the publisher, I presume).

Are you planning to sell the watch? If so, here or elsewhere?

Paleotime

#5 Post by Paleotime » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 am

Well, I am not one of the experts but, To my eye it looks like VII VIII on the mid-case which matches the 78 on the case back. Beautiful watch.
"Percentage players die broke too..." - Fast Eddie in the Hustler

slinfiniti

#6 Post by slinfiniti » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 am

I am not sure if I want to sell it. If it is a hard to find model, I'll keep it. I am finding mixed data about this particular model.
That's why I have come here, how rare is the subdial at 6, how rare is ALL 14 karat and not a combination of nickel?
Any help would help and approximate fair value to sell it?

Thank you

Magpie

#7 Post by Magpie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

Do you have a copy of Fred's first book? He says in the section on the "Consul" model that the dial with subs at 6 is "hard to find" (p. 128). As for an "approximate fair value," that's probably something you need to figure out for yourself from observing what other "Consul" specimens go for. (If it were me, I'd want to hang onto that watch because the model itself is a "must" for a serious Illinois collector and the dial is an uncommon one.)

slinfiniti

#8 Post by slinfiniti » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:36 pm

I am finding out that consuls were or are prized. This is my first solid gold Illinois. I have a 21 jewel New Yorker and a WG filled Guardsman.

I would love some hints on how to clean the dial? This is becoming more interesting

afire

#9 Post by afire » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:36 pm

slinfiniti wrote:I am finding out that consuls were or are prized.
It was their only solid gold model with much Art Deco flair, other than the Tuxedo, but that's a rather small watch using an 18/0 movement, so it's much less sought after.
Real men wear small watches.

mrtoad

#10 Post by mrtoad » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:10 pm

My first impression is that the dial doesn't need cleaning. Most Illinois collectors accept some patina and many even favor it.

If you dial still has radium paint on it, you shouldn't try to clean it or do anything else with it except enjoy it.

My mentor in watch repair taught me that the best way of cleaning most dials is a tissue with saliva on it. (The saliva can dissolve some of the oils that are the most frequent contaminants on dials.)