Two Tone Ace

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
semroc

Re: Two Tone Ace

#11 Post by semroc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you timeliz, I appreciate it. I haven't thought about re-enamelling the bezel. I didn't know it was enameled.

timeliz

#12 Post by timeliz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't know that is was, but based on the ad Magpie posted, it apears to be.
It would sure make the bezel design pop.

FJF

#13 Post by FJF » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Eli,

Great job on the TT Ace.

I named this model the Ace in my first book, because the Jobbers called this model by that name .
The Whippet is another model so named for the same reason by me in my first book.

Hope that helps clarify things.

And, yes you should paint in the black enamel and the watch will pop even more.

It is looking smart Eli!

Thanks,
FJF

semroc

#14 Post by semroc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you FJF, it does help clarify. Probably won't re-enamel. Don't want to ruin it's museum quality look. Maybe re-enamel if it was just a Hamilton, or Elgin. Lol.

GJH

#15 Post by GJH » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Came out wonderful... the enamel on the bezel look is very nice... brings out all the detail. See if you can do it. A super watch and you did a fine job!!
G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

semroc

#16 Post by semroc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks GJH. I will try to enamel it. I know you just covered enameling on a different thread, but I cant find it. Could you please tell me how you re enamel? Thank you. I appreciate it.

Magpie

#17 Post by Magpie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:54 am

Probably won't re-enamel. Don't want to ruin it's museum quality look.
I agreed with this initial reaction of yours and winced when I saw today that you were considering doing a supposed "re-enamel." There actually wouldn't originally have been "enameling" on this case; it probably just looks like that from the catalog image that I posted -- the artist was rendering some areas darker than others in trying to show the engraving pattern. Although today some people apply enamel paint in an attempt to make engraving patterns stand out more, I deplore the practice. It's your watch, of course, and up to you. But I wouldn't touch it -- it looks beautiful as it is!

mrtoad

#18 Post by mrtoad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Like Magpie, I'd hesitate to apply enamel to this case. What might look black in the catalogue picture is a consequence of the printing process: the printers used engravings rather than photographs for almost everything in those catalogues because it shows details more readily than photographs. It's sort of like Roger Tory Peterson's bird guides, where he deliberately used drawings, not his paintings or his photographs, so he could emphasize important identification features.

There were very few Illinois men's models with actual vitreous enamel on their cases, and, as Fred's new book indicates, they are very rare. Unless it is mentioned in a catalogue description or you have an actual sample to examine (e.g., Illinois New Yorker Enamel, Elgin Presentation 212, Hamilton Spur) to examine, you can generally assume that a case did not have enamel on it.

And as the book also discusses, another process was occasionally used to heighten the engraving, "oxidation." Illinois advertising occasionally mentions this in their advertising but unless they do, it shouldn't be assumed. Oxidation is a chemical treatment that actually affects the metal surface, and because it is very thin, it tends to wear off rapidly. I know of no one who has successfully reproduced the process at home, partially because we don't know what specific chemicals were used.

For those who do want to do something to heighten engraving (and I am occasionally among them), the usual approach involves the enamel paints used on model cars and trains. (Although these glossy paints are called "enamel", they are quite different from true vitreous enamel, which is based on melting pulverized glass.) I usually use Testors paint markers (No. 2457 for black), applying a layer, allowing it to dry partially, wiping off the excess, and repeating until I get the effect desired.

semroc

#19 Post by semroc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Thank you for the replies, Magpie, mrtoad. I won't be applying enamel filler. Love the Roger Torey Peterson reference.

afire

#20 Post by afire » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Not to be contrarian, but I've had a number of NOS cases, and occasionally watches, from this era that did have "enameling" on the bezels (and I know it's not vitreous enamel, but even back then, the term enamel was routinely applied to what you might just call paint). I don't know whether this specific case would have had it, but Illinois W.C.Co. did use the technique around this time. I would wager that the practice was likely more common than we know because it tends to wear off with use, and once it's gone, it's hard to know whether it was ever there in the first place. Here's a NOS I.W.C.Co. case with an "enameled" bezel on eBay at the moment.
When I was first getting into watches I bought a box of exactly this model of case, thinking they must be an amazingly rare find. 20 years later, you can still get them. :oops:
Real men wear small watches.