Help to indentify some Illinois models

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
PedroA

Help to indentify some Illinois models

#1 Post by PedroA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi everyone.

This is my offical presentation in this forum. I'm a Spanish amateur watchmaker. I normally buy not working watches to repair them. I knew about some American models, like Bulova, Elgin, Waltham but never had hearing about Illinois. Finally, I bought some of them in eBay. I like their strong sound.

I need help to indentify three of my model, few, but very nice models.

I have seen about two or three models in eBay with the same case an dial. Barrel perhaps in a Star case?

Military dial? What is the correct case? I used a generic cushion case.

Pimlico dial?

Thanks in advance.

FJF

Re: Help to indentify some Illinois models

#2 Post by FJF » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 am

Hi,

Very quickly from top to bottom you have:

A Whippet, it is also called a Tonneau or Barrel, as you note;

A Cushion again as you note; and,

The last is a Contract one, with a redone Pimlico/Derby Illinois Dial.

Please PM me if you would like further information or have additional questions. Or email me at fred@illinoiswatches.com.

We are very glad that you have discovered the wonderful world of Illinois wristwatches!!

Thanks,
FJF

PedroA

#3 Post by PedroA » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 am

Fred, many thanks for your aclarations although I have yet a doub. I have understand the thrid model is a "Contract one" but, is a particular Illinois model or a model (with differents parts), no made by Illinois?. I never have hear about this model.

In Spain, it's difficult to find Illinois models, only in eBay, and sometimes very expensives for me, principally, shipping and taxes.

Cheers

FJF

#4 Post by FJF » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 am

Hi Pedro,

This is a complex subject that I explain in more detail in my new books. Briefly, a “ Contract” Watch was a case supplied by a casemaker to anyone after the Generic Time Period ( as defined in my first book and again in my new books) that could contain movements and dials from various watch manufacturers. Your Whippet and Cushion models are examples of watches from the Generic Period. Your Contract one is an example of a Contract Case assembled by a jobber or jeweler after the Generic Period. A Contract watch was not assembled by a watch manufacturer typically ( nor were most Generic Models for that matter).

There are some Generic Illinois Models that were, in fact, assembled in the Illinois Watch Factory, but, there were few of these . In my new books, I explain certain watch models that are a combination of the two. But, it is too detailed for an explanation here. Please wait to read about it in my new books.

For inexpensive Illinois Watches, please see the “Bargain Buys” on my website Illinoiswatches.com . I am always delighted to help new collectors get involved with Illinois and I will gladly help you as well.

If you still have questions, please contact me at fred@illinoiswatches.com or fredric777@gmail.com.
Thanks,
FJF

GJH

#5 Post by GJH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Welcome Pedro!
Very nice to have you here on the forum. You have nice taste and keep up the
good work. Feel free to ask anything you like. folks are always here to help.
G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

PedroA

#6 Post by PedroA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Many thanks again Fred. Now I understand the differences beetwen a generic and a Contract model. I have another two models an soon I will put the pictures in the forum.

Many thanks too GJH.

Best regards.