Sangamo

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
FJF

Re: Sangamo

#11 Post by FJF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks Jim......and thanks for its image !

FJF

GJH

#12 Post by GJH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:15 pm

WOW!!!

Did you all check out this one???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Illinois-034-S ... true&rt=nc

$907.50 with Shipping...

and that is without the right dial on it yet.

I told you these were hard to find.

Congrats to the winner if it was a forum member.
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

FJF

#13 Post by FJF » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:17 pm

HI All,

That is actually a very good price for the Sangamon Illinois model. The challenge will be trying to find the correct dial for it. I have had no luck in doing so for along time.

As I mentioned earlier, I will explain why these dials are so difficult to come by in my new Book Set.

Sorry I keep saying that, but, I cannot scoop my own work.

Thanks for your understanding.
FJF

GJH

#14 Post by GJH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 am

FJF wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:17 pm
HI All,
That is actually a very good price for the Sangamon Illinois model. The challenge will be trying to find the correct dial for it.
I have had no luck in doing so for along time.
As I mentioned earlier, I will explain why these dials are so difficult to come by in my new Book Set.
Sorry I keep saying that, but, I cannot scoop my own work.
Thanks for your understanding.
FJF
I went and looked back to see just how many Sangamons have been posted here on the forum
and talked about this with Fred.
You just don't see these, ESPECIALLY with the original dial.
Fred doesn't even have any of these, his last example just sold on his site not long ago.

The only member who has posted one so far is Mr Toad. His example HAS the original dial and is really wonderful.

If you have one in your collection, PLEASE post it.

There is also the Waltham model that was on the site some time ago (afire)

I only know of one of these in the wild for sale and it doesn't have the original dial.
PM me for details if you are looking for one.

mrtoad

#15 Post by mrtoad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 am

The only member who has posted one so far is Mr Toad. His example HAS the original dial and is really wonderful.
Thanks for posting this, Greg! It ought to look good because it came from Fred's collection several years ago; Magpie kept her eyes open to find one to give me as a surprise birthday present.

GJH

#16 Post by GJH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

mrtoad wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 am
Thanks for posting this, Greg! It ought to look good because it came from Fred's collection several years ago; Magpie kept her eyes open to find one to give me as a surprise birthday present.
Well, Magpie has superb taste in watches! This is an incredible example and coming from Fred's
collection, you know it is the real deal. Finding that dial on one is a very special treat.
Congrats on a Super Birthday present.
G

indyago

#17 Post by indyago » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 am

I saw the Sangamo come up on the Swamp. I didn't think the dial looked quite right but, I continued to follow it. Obviously, by the number of bidders and the amount they were willing to spend, I knew there must be a degree of correctness there. Good to hear the whole story, and see Greg's pin. This story of models like this is one of the main reasons I can't wait for Fred's book! I check the mail every day in anticipation! ;)
Rob

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

GJH

#18 Post by GJH » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 am

This is something I have been saying for years. There are 2 types of collectors, those who kind of
"wing it" through the collection process and those who take their time and gain knowledge.
With the "getting struck by lightning odds" those who do their homework, always prevail. Simply knowing
what is what, puts you at a huge advantage over the person who thinks they know better than the other folks.
I have read Fred's first book so many times (you all wouldn't believe me if I told you) The jacket cover is
worn to the bone and I am constantly looking up things in it. For the initial cost of the book, it has paid for itself a
100 times over, in the scores I have gotten and the mistakes I HAVE'NT made.
The new book set is going to pay foritself with the first "Fantastic Find" I get from reading the new material.
I say this with confidence, because there are going to be 5 volumes of information and Fred tells me that with
this book set, Illinois will be the safest vintage brand to collect. Complete information on models, dials, movements
and the rest will all be included. The books are set to be here very soon and we are all going to start wearing
the pages down and using the new found information to look for the next "Fantastic Find!"