New Yorker 21J Score

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
afire

Re: New Yorker 21J Score

#11 Post by afire » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 am

I've read that thread before when I asked myself that same question. Clear as mud. And there seem to be a lot of sources out there arguing that the Hamilton/Illinois "motor barrel" is a going barrel, not a motor barrel at all. But most of that stuff goes over my head, to be honest.
Real men wear small watches.

HamiltonIllinois

#12 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:42 am

WOW, the old IHC185 is a blast from the past! I was not aware it even still existed.
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

mrtoad

#13 Post by mrtoad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 am

The internal workings of a motor barrel can be hard to visualize. The designs used by Elgin, Illinois, and Hamilton had lots of differences in detail and even among models of a given maker, but all the variants shared the presence of a central arbor/axle/axis fixed to the barrel itself, whereas the going barrel always had a separate, movable barrel arbor.

Even if you don't worry with the internal complexities, you can always recognize one of these motor barrels because the winding wheel has two or three screws visible around the center, unlike the single central screw of the going barrel. And whether the barrel is jeweled or not, the tip of the barrel axle can be seen in the center of the bearing.

I notice that RGM is still making wristwatches with a motor barrel, and they specifically cite Illinois: http://www.rgmwatches.com/watches/#/801-coe/

mrcardigan

#14 Post by mrcardigan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:28 am

Wow. Thanks for the replies everyone. Didn't realise such a complicated concept existed. Excellent descriptions and links though. Thank you so much. No wonder they command a premium.

Andy C

Air

#15 Post by Air » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Illinois always made beautiful watches. Even though they reflect the era of the 20's, they certainly have continued flash today. When someone asks you about your Illinois watch, you can give them a great back story.