FRED'S NEW BOOK IS HERE!!! NEW UPDATE

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
jimglynn

Re: FRED'S NEW BOOK IS HERE!!! UPDATE

#21 Post by jimglynn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Ordered mine as well. I'm looking forward to many exciting new details regarding our beloved "Illinois Watches"

coronado

#22 Post by coronado » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:18 am

I have a set reserved, too... can't wait for it to arrive!

stryfox

#23 Post by stryfox » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
No really is it here yet?
My wife made fun of me when she saw how excited I was about a new watch book.
My watches on instagram,
https://www.instagram.com/fth_classic_timepieces

Watches serviced and ready to go at,
http://fthclassictimepieces.com

HamiltonIllinois

#24 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:28 am

stryfox wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 pm
My wife made fun of me when she saw how excited I was about a new watch book.

Your wife bothers to need a reason? Show off....

Actually, every time I see the headline to this listing I think for a second that someone else got their book before I got mine! :oops: Any news on an ETA Fred??
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

FJF

#25 Post by FJF » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi All,

Well Rick, I have known you almost 30 years and you are still asking tough questions.

Before I reply, I would like to thank Mark, Greg and the Forum members for the tremendous out pouring of support and wonderful comments you have sent to me with your many orders for the Limited Edition. Because of the great help provided to me by Mark, I wanted the Forum members to get first crack at the Limited Edition, it will be three weeks tomorrow that I launched its sale on this Forum. Now, I have begun to offer it on other venues as well. Therefore, I urge those of you that want the Limited Edition to act sooner rather than later, especially in light of overwhelming response to date.

This week, I received from the publisher the proofs of the first two volumes that are to go to the printer. Today, I sent my comments on the proofs back to the managing editor. This editor BTW wrote in his email with the two volumes that “ the books are really looking great.” An added plus for me was that I as able to shoe horn into the movement chapter a sensational bombshell . I recently discovered, with the help of an unnamed Forum member, a previously completely unknown Illinois men’s wristwatch protoype model. I added it there because I knew I could not fit it into the alphabetical listing of watches in the Men’s ID chapter. This is a greater discovery than when L Michael Fultz ( my Illinois mentor) found the Illinois Eagle. All I will say at this point, that it is unlike any other Illinois watch and is made of solid gold and sterling silver!

I expect to receive Volume 3 from the publisher for review on Friday or by early next week. At this rate, the publisher expects me to have some books in hand by the holidays. However, in these severe down times for book publishers, I have learned not to rely too much on what he tells me, as their resources are so severely strapped. I will fill book set orders in the same order that they are received to be fair to those that have ordered early.

One last point, for this already too long Post. The publisher based on reading in detail the first two plus volumes has now increased the retail price to $295.00 per book set. I will try to stop further increases but there is no guarantee that it will not rise higher. I will, continue to honor my Limited Edition 175.00 special price offer and, my commitment to donate all profits to the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

Thanks,
FJF

GJH

Re: FRED'S NEW BOOK IS HERE!!! NEW UPDATE

#26 Post by GJH » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:43 pm

JUST IN!!!

Fred tells me that the Volumes 1 and 2 have gone to the PRINTER!!!

This is VERY exciting news, and things are rolling along at a BRISK pace.

Just as exciting, Fred tells me that he is going to give us some BREAKING NEWS
from the book. Some specific models that we will learn the REAL names of
AND other revelations that we can expect in the future.

I know I am driving him crazy for information, but I am slowly wearing him down for
you folks.

YOU WILL GET ALL THE GOODS RIGHT HERE FIRST!!!

If you haven't done the pre-order yet, don't be mad when they are all gone.
Fred tells me the orders are overwhelming.
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

mrtoad

#27 Post by mrtoad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Attention, pocket watch collectors! Although Fred Friedberg’s new book, The Illinois Watch & Its Hamilton Years, concentrates on wristwatches sold by Illinois and later by Hamilton, it is far from being just about wristwatches or just about Illinois and Hamilton. It’s a book for all watch collectors and enthusiasts!

The book includes hundreds of pages on topics of general horological interest ranging from the history of the American watch industry to collectible ephemera. The first volume draws on archival material and new research on horology—hard to find, let alone all in one place. While this historical volume concentrates on Illinois and then Hamilton, it also treats many other watch manufacturers, large and small, and examines the economics of the watch and jewelry industries as the country suffered through the Great Depression. The set not only chronicles the primary manufacturers and the men who drove the business, it also delves into supporting industries, such as case and dial makers and the evolution of attachments like watch bracelets. Other topics range from the life of Illinois workers to watch advertising.

New information about Illinois includes descriptions of their manufacturing processes, how features of pocket-watch dials migrated to the smaller dials of wristwatches, and how Illinois experimented with aluminum movements for both kinds of watches. The second volume also contains fresh compilations of production data for Illinois movements.

Even though Hamilton’s purchase of Illinois is familiar to many collectors, the new book goes into greater depth than has previously been possible, examining why Hamilton made the purchase, how they adapted Illinois products for their own lines, and how they eventually carried out the dismantling of the Illinois business and its products. Of particular interest to pocket-watch collectors are how Hamilton adapted Illinois’ ultrathin movements and how Hamilton brought Illinois’ 60-hour technology to its own railroad-grade movements. The section on Hamilton-Illinois watches shows how Hamilton’s purchase of Illinois led indirectly to today’s Swiss-based corporation.

The book also has features designed especially for the pocket-watch collector, such as a huge list of private labels made by Illinois, with hundreds of new entries discovered since earlier lists were compiled.

GJH

#28 Post by GJH » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Again, thanks for this valuable update Jim.
We are all very excited to hear anything new about the book.
Fred says he is overwhelmed by the response from this forum.
More news to come soon I am sure.
G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

Magpie

#29 Post by Magpie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:20 pm

I understand that Fred is now busy checking the proofs of Volume 3. (That's a very big one, since it's the men's identification guide!)

Magpie

#30 Post by Magpie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Fred is moving right along in checking proofs -- just heard from him that Volume 3 is now on its way to the printer! Hurray!!!

(This volume is a real biggie in all senses, with LOTS of surprises for the collector!)