FRED'S NEW BOOK IS HERE!!! NEW UPDATE

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
Magpie

#71 Post by Magpie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 am

I think that Chapter 3 (The Identification Volume) is going to be used quite often for reference.
With all the new additions from Vol. 1 this is what I am most excited to see first.
Ah, but you forget: there are TWO identification volumes!!! Volume 3, which treats men's Illinois models, is mind-blowing, to be sure -- there's LOTS of new information, unknown when Fred wrote his first book. But what's equally exciting IMO (if not even more so) is Volume 4, which is truly goundbreaking: it contains BOTH the first complete guide to the Illinois ladies' models AND the first complete guide to the Hamilton-Illinois models! The Hamilton-Illinois watches have heretofore tended to be overlooked as a collecting area; but once Fred's book is released, that's likely to change fast!

I think that buyers of the set are going to be very happy to find that it's not just for reference -- it makes for great reading too! (I particularly love Volume 1, which is history-oriented. Some parts are so gripping that you'll "fall in" and can't put the book down until you find out what happens next.)

GJH

Re:

#72 Post by GJH » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 am

Magpie wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 am
I think that Chapter 3 (The Identification Volume) is going to be used quite often for reference.
With all the new additions from Vol. 1 this is what I am most excited to see first.
Ah, but you forget: there are TWO identification volumes!!! Volume 3, which treats men's Illinois models, is mind-blowing, to be sure -- there's LOTS of new information, unknown when Fred wrote his first book. But what's equally exciting IMO (if not even more so) is Volume 4, which is truly goundbreaking: it contains BOTH the first complete guide to the Illinois ladies' models AND the first complete guide to the Hamilton-Illinois models! The Hamilton-Illinois watches have heretofore tended to be overlooked as a collecting area; but once Fred's book is released, that's likely to change fast!

I think that buyers of the set are going to be very happy to find that it's not just for reference -- it makes for great reading too! (I particularly love Volume 1, which is history-oriented. Some parts are so gripping that you'll "fall in" and can't put the book down until you find out what happens next.)
VERY exciting to hear B!

In my humble opinion, I believe the Hamilton/Illinois line is going to be the next
"Hot Collectible"
For years they have floated around, with little to no information about them. With names, models
history, and a way to ID them, I believe they are a steal at the prices they are at now... but not for long.
Thanks for the great info!
G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

mrtoad

Re: FRED'S NEW BOOK IS HERE!!! NEW UPDATE

#73 Post by mrtoad » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 pm

I think collectors are going to be surprised when they see the range of the Hamilton-Illinois line. There are some startling things among the uncatalogued models, and they weren't all budget watches. This is going to be a new field for collectors: we've turned up new models in the past month. The Hamilton-Illinois line didn't last long, but in some ways there might not even be a Hamilton today if they hadn't tried this experiment.

I can hardly wait for the books to arrive so I can bring out some of the watches I've been sitting on for a couple of years.

veritas123

#74 Post by veritas123 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:07 am

I got mine yesterday!!
Have not had a chance to look yet.

Nookster

#75 Post by Nookster » Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 am

Got my copy over the weekend. Just finished shoulder replacement so I can’t even lift it yet, but can’t wait to.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

Dadistic

#76 Post by Dadistic » Mon May 07, 2018 11:03 am

I got a postcard with hand signed edition info, but the encyclopedia has not yet appeared. I'm afraid that when it does show up I might ruin it by drooling all over it :)

GJH

#77 Post by GJH » Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm

FOLKS:

NOW THAT THE BOOKS ARE GETTING INTO THE HANDS OF FORUM MEMBERS,

CHECK IN HERE (LINK BELOW) WITH CONFIRMATIONS, FIRST IMPRESSIONS, AND ANYTHING ELSE
RELATING TO THE BOOK ARRIVAL:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11941&p=83573#p83573

I AM GOING TO LOCK THIS THREAD SO ALL THE NEW STUFF IS IN ONE PLACE.

G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...