Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
GJH

Re: Engravings...

#21 Post by GJH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm

JackW wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 am
GJH wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 pm
The bottom cushion your dad got you in 1918 (come on, that was funny)
Is most likely a 3/0 size movement ....
The loose cushion case will fit a 0s/13L and is Swiss-made. I don't think the stem tube that is there will hold a negative set stem and sleeve. Not threaded and there isn't an obvious way the non-threaded sleeve will stay in place. I'd like to stick something nice inside.... it was a birthday gift after all... Slowly piecing together a contemporaneous Omega movement or might go with an Electra or Marvin.
That is a tough one w/o treaded sleeve. Can't wait to see you get it all together. SO cool to have it with your name on it and the 1918 date.
I am a big fan of engravings like this.

Keep the gang posted.

G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

441victor

#22 Post by 441victor » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

"You need what"s called a reverse sleeve. They install from the inside and are held in place by the movement. Here's the selection from the Waltham material catalog.

Finding one that fits can be a challenge these days. Even though I'm only dealing with a few Waltham and Elgin models. Joel

JackW

#23 Post by JackW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 pm

441victor wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm
Finding one that fits can be a challenge these days.
These?
sleeves.jpg
sleeves.jpg (189.83 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Thought these were for non threaded tubes, but there was still a retainer of some time in the case. Being retained by the movement makes sense. I'll see if one of the loose Elgins I have will work.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton