Re: FRED'S NEW BOOK IS HERE!!! UPDATE

#12 Post by GJH » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Check out the update at the top of this thread folks
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

indyago

#13 Post by indyago » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to see it. Will be like Christmas morning when I was a kid when it arrives!
Rob

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Air

#14 Post by Air » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Ordered several copies. Fred's five volumes not only detail the history of the Illinois Watch Co., but contain the finest description of the state of the watch industry in the 1920's and 1930's. For anyone interested in watches from this period, be they Hamiltons, Elgins, Walthams, Benrus or Bulova, and their casemakers, this book gives the best details of the industry in this era. Even though some may consider the price a bit stiff, every collector will find tremendous value for money in these books.

stryfox

#15 Post by stryfox » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 pm

When you think about what we spend on watches, straps, parts, tools and related memorabilia these books sound like a bargain in my opinion. I’m looking forward to getting mine.

GJH

#16 Post by GJH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Here are 10 reasons why I have ordered 5, so far.

1) I am collector of things and can't help myself
2) I LOVE Illinois watches
3) When I bought Fred's first Book and read it till the cover wore off, I amassed the best known
collection on the planet, why... because I had the knowledge. I found rarities beyond belief that I knew
about and others didn't. I found 2 Aluminum movements because I knew the serial numbers, I found my first
650 because I knew the shape and markings of one in a heap of scrap watches. I realized that a rare dial
was on the wrong case and got steal after steal because I looked it up in the book.
I still do this all the time, turning clunkers into value
4) This new book is going to have 5 volumes and so much NEW information and discoveries, I am going to
have MORE hunting to do.
5) The price works out to be $35 a book and the price is going to skyrocket when the first small run here is gone.
6) My collection is going to grow as I find things I didn't know existed and grab them because I know what they really are.
7) I am going to give a few away as gifts to friends
8) So many folks here on the forum contributed to this book and I can't wait to see everything together in one place.
9) Fred is not doing this book for profit and has donated a ton of the original material to the NAWCC
10) I will finally get to know the names of many of the missing Illinois models.

mrcardigan

#17 Post by mrcardigan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Gutted. Still trudging through a nasty divorce, so can not spend ANY money on watches or books or anything, or her lawyer will be down on me like a ton of bricks. I'm probably the only member on here that was hoping Fred would take longer to get it published! :(

GJH

#18 Post by GJH » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 pm

mrcardigan wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 pm
Gutted. Still trudging through a nasty divorce, so can not spend ANY money on watches or books or anything, or her lawyer will be down on me like a ton of bricks. I'm probably the only member on here that was hoping Fred would take longer to get it published! :(
SO glad to hear that Fred has one saved for you... Congrats!
You get one fantastic find and the book pays for itself!
G

Literustyfan

#19 Post by Literustyfan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:05 am

Bought mine yesterday ! ! ! !

And the postal workers thought that Publishers Clearinghouse day was bad!

Just wait until they have to deliver this five volume set!

I see a lot of Bengay and Advil in their futures!
http://www.LRFAntiqueWatches.com

Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of The Great War"

Author of "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

randy van

#20 Post by randy van » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:44 am

Another collecting field, coin collecting, has a saying: “buy the book before the coin.” This book set’s pre-publication price is about what a common gold-filled wristwatch (with some wear) would cost one of us on eBay. I have bought more then a few Illinois wristwatches that fit this category. If I had read this book set before buying some of these watches, I would have had a more complete view of the watch before making a bid. Rarity, case durability, collectability, investment potential and other factors would have been better known to me. I may have passed on the example or jumped on the “buy it now” button. I had the privilege of reviewing the manuscript of Fred’s book set as one of several proofreaders, and can recommend you buy at this amazing pre-publication price. You will more safely buy Illinois watches, as everything you need to know is clearly documented and spelled out in an easy to read fashion in the books. It turns the Illinois brand from a bit of a mystery into the safest brand to collect. I can’t wait to get the published version on my shelf!