Experimenting with a different background color

Show your watch photography for discussion
norm650

Experimenting with a different background color

#1 Post by norm650 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:35 am

I use a Nikon CoolPix, model L18 for my photos of watches. I always use indirect sunlight and I have always used a small purple satin cloth as a background. Lately, I've been using a white Formica board as background and it seems like that background results in a sharper image. Here are two photos to compare, I've used white cases in both photos and I have tried to pick photos where the picture adjustments (contrast, brightness, etc.) are similar. What do you guys think?
Last edited by norm650 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't be alarmed ladies and gentlemen. Those chains are made of chrome steel!" - Carl Denham

Norm

randy van

Re: Experimenting with a different background color

#2 Post by randy van » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Agree with you, Norm. How do the backgrounds compare with YG or GG cases?

norm650

#3 Post by norm650 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Randy,
Here are two for comparison, 14KGG, first photo is when I first got it, second photo is with the re-finished dial so it might be a little difficult for one's eye not to be slightly tricked by the cleaner, sharper dial.
Last edited by norm650 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't be alarmed ladies and gentlemen. Those chains are made of chrome steel!" - Carl Denham

Norm

Dave

#4 Post by Dave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 pm

I think the Barrel on the purple background is warmer and tends to highlight the details of the watch. This is how I would like to present my wearable collection. The last photo of the Tonneau on white background is sharp and clean. This is how I would like to present watches for sale to increase interest and price.

The green gold on purple seems a bit dark but the white Waltham on white almost looks washed out. All the photos could be touched up in post processing if need be but I am not at that level of photographic skill. It seems as if a white background is better for yellow or green cases and a dark background is better for white cases, for me anyway.

norm650

#5 Post by norm650 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:07 am

Dave wrote:I think the Barrel on the purple background is warmer and tends to highlight the details of the watch. This is how I would like to present my wearable collection. The last photo of the Tonneau on white background is sharp and clean. This is how I would like to present watches for sale to increase interest and price.

The green gold on purple seems a bit dark but the white Waltham on white almost looks washed out. All the photos could be touched up in post processing if need be but I am not at that level of photographic skill. It seems as if a white background is better for yellow or green cases and a dark background is better for white cases, for me anyway.
Dave ,
I agree on all points! The two photos were originally adjusted differently in the computer (brightness, contrast, etc.), so I was trying to even them out, so to speak, but my over-zealousness at the computer got the better of me and that's why the second photo does look washed out :lol: Sometimes, less is more!
I really do like to tweak the photos. Compare a white cased watch with an AGN dial with a green cased watch with a black enamel print dial, you have to adjust them differently so they can look as good as possible. The object is to digitally enhance and not disguise, change or otherwise try to hide some detail of the watch. That's why with so many Ebay photos, a favorite ruse of the "less than reputable" sellers is to take the photos with a flash. Ya can't see scratches on a case with the reflection of the flash ;)
As far as the skills required to properly digitally enhance photos go, it's really just a matter of what looks good to your eye, just like you said. The mechanics can be learned in a very short time.

Norm

vintagehamiltons

#6 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Blue looks best to my eye, then white, then black. Burgundy washes out too much.

Tom Diss
Mod Squad

Nookster

#7 Post by Nookster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Nice watch Tom......LOL
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast