I finally figured out how to do a wrist shot

Show your watch photography for discussion
randy van

I finally figured out how to do a wrist shot

#1 Post by randy van » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:10 am

I have had great difficulty taking wrist shots, either with my phone or my point and shoot digital camera. The phone shots always seemed muddy, and the pictures I was taking with my Sony 14.1 megapixel Cyber-shot camera resulted in a file too large for VWF to accept.

To complicate matters, since becoming a geezer I have developed a slight shake in my hands that makes either the image or the camera, or both, unsteady. Mr croaker advised me to drink one glass of wine a day to calm down the shakes, but since I like to take my photos before 5PM that just wouldn't do (I tried to get a Rx for a weekly bottle of Bordeaux without success, but that's another story) so I had to go to plan B.

I rummaged around my odds and ends drawer and found a 12 year old, 2.0 megapixel Fujifilm camera that I had not used in about 10 years.

I mounted the camera on a tripod, and set up the tripod next to the edge of a shaded table on my patio.

I aimed the camera at a spot near the edge of the table.

I set the timer on the camera, and clicked the shutter button.

I rested my arm on the table so that the watch is centered. Click.

I loaded the image into I-Photo on my Macbook Pro.

I cropped the picture, and here is the result of my first decent wrist shot!
Attachments
Chatham.jpg
Chatham.jpg (319.91 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

vintagehamiltons

Re: I finally figured out how to do a wrist shot

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am

That came out pretty good. Whatever it takes.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

indyago

#3 Post by indyago » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 am

Nice one! ;)
Rob

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

HandyDan

#4 Post by HandyDan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:05 am

One tip for your phone or other high mega-pixel camera is to not try so hard to get a close up shot but instead take it from a more comfortable distance. This provides for slightly better focus, perhaps more light and less camera shake. Using a tripod would help even more.

Then you can upload it to Photobucket and use the Photobucket tools to crop the photo - effectively "zooming in". Once it's cropped you can then "resize" it using the same tools to a pixel width of 650 or less. Then just save it as a new file in Photobucket and delete your old file.

Or, you can use your computer's picture editing software to do the same thing and then just upload your edited shot.

Having a high mega-pixel camera would work great, as you start out with lots of pixels... probably 1500+. That means you can do a lot of cropping and still be above the 650 range when you're finshed.

Here's an example just using my phone - both pictures are resized to 650. The first one was well over 1000 to start with. I didn't have very good lighting but they're not too bad.
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

norm650

#5 Post by norm650 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 am

This is my first wrist shot, it's cloudy today so this came out a little too dark and I really did this one in a hurry. On the up side I finally installed the correct hour hand for this Drake.
Attachments
Picture 033.jpg
Picture 033.jpg (299.57 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
"Don't be alarmed ladies and gentlemen. Those chains are made of chrome steel!" - Carl Denham

Norm