Sorry for the site being down.

Share your suggestions, ideas and concerns about the forum
Nookster

Sorry for the site being down.

#1 Post by Nookster » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:40 am

Long story, but I send a blast email to everyone and the host took it as a spam or hack. Once I explained I did it, it took till today to get it resolved. Here is the email I got after the blast email. The weird part is , I don't use Joomla, Drupal, or WordPress.

Network Solutions is committed to maintaining the highest possible security for your hosting service. As part of our ongoing monitoring, we have discovered that your usage of the hosting service is not in compliance with our Acceptable Use Policy. In order to protect other customers and the integrity of our hosting platforms, we have taken necessary steps to suspend your service until you have reviewed the information below and made the required updates that will allow us to reactivate your service.

Details:
Issue: Your hosting account NETSOLHOST.COM was sending a high volume of emails through one or more FormMail scripts on your account (ex: CGI/Perl, PHP or ASP).

How did this happen: This can be caused by code vulnerabilities in an existing FormMail script, or vulnerabilities in a content-management system (CMS) or other script that has either been compromised or utilized to send a high volume of spam emails. The most common cause is an open form with no CAPTCHA or an outdated, hacked CMS such as Joomla, Drupal, or WordPress.

How can this be fixed: You will need to secure your form(s). Here are some action steps you can take:
• Implement CAPTCHA on your form to eliminate abuse of the form. For example, if you are using our website builder tool there is a CAPTCHA that can be enabled in the form itself. If your form is custom coded, you will need to research and integrate a CAPTCHA into your form on your own or via a web designer, or find a way to properly secure the script(s) otherwise. If you are not sure what file(s) are capable of sending mail, we apologize, but we can't assist you with locating these; the content of your hosting account is your responsibility.
• If your site is a CMS, you will need to update the code/script(s) via FTP.
• If you determine that your site has been compromised and need assistance cleaning your site, contact our security partner.. For an additional fee they will ensure your site is clear of malware so you can get your site back up and running.
After the above steps are taken, you can then request to have your account re-activated by sending us an email at XXX-xxxxxx.com with the following criteria:
• Explanation of why the violation occurred.
• The steps taken to secure your services to prevent future violations.
• Refer to your account NETSOLHOST.COM in your email.
o You can simply reply to this email with the above information filled out if you wish.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause but appreciate your help in getting this issue resolved and getting your website back online. If you have any questions, please contact us at 866-XXX-XXXX and refer to ticket XXXXX.
If you have any questions regarding this ticket, you can chat with our Technical Support team. Please be aware that our chat team cannot and will not remove suspensions. The chat team also cannot request our legal team to expedite your request to have your suspension lifted. You must follow the email process outlined above. This includes any requests to update a CMS (Joomla, WordPress, etc) site; you must remove the offending content via FTP and contact the abuse team accordingly. The chat team cannot assist in finding hacked content, identifying the causes of hacks in the content, or in removing hacked content. You can chat by clicking on the following link:
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

GreenBayStamps

Re: Sorry for the site being down.

#2 Post by GreenBayStamps » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks Mark,

Your commitment to this is very commendable! I'm sure at some point it becomes a bit laborious. ;) Know that I speak for many here, this is a wonderful lifeline to our hobbies!''

I can now get my fix again! :lol: :lol:

Pat

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving. – Oliver Wendall Holmes

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:56 am

interesting they don't require SFTP. But than again I'm a MSSQl DBA and not a webmaster......
Nice to see it is all good again.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

stryfox

#4 Post by stryfox » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:11 pm

I was going through withdrawal. ;)
Thanks for all you do to keep this place running.

Dave

#5 Post by Dave » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:25 pm

:whew: I'm so glad we are back in business. :D

+1 on the withdrawal comment. Thanks again for hosting this awesome community, Mark. 8-)

retroworx

#6 Post by retroworx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 pm

I'd like to say that I re-discovered my family, my friends, the world around me with the free time while we were down, but no: I simply spent inordinate time repetitively and compulsively hitting the return button hoping for a better result than "access denied" or "forbidden". :roll:

Thanks for making all right with our world again, Mark!
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

diveboy

#7 Post by diveboy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Susan - you and I took the site down :) stupid trade forum... hasn't even been used yet.

Mark - thanks again.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

Ninja01

#8 Post by Ninja01 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Good to hear all is back to normal!

I guess with all the emphasis on web security these days, web host services, etc. are HYPER-sensitive to any "suspicious" activity, but I never heard of them actually taking down a site because the owner/administrator emails to the membership. Hmmm! Well, I guess the moral of this story is ... next time you have to make a mass email, you need to set up a membership email list in some other email system like Yahoo, and do the email from there :lol: or is it :? or :roll:

They even bounced back an email I sent to you (replying directly to your mass email) saying something like "unknown user" as the reason!! They knew you when you sent in out, but they didn't know you a day later :roll:

Ahh the benefits of modern technology ;)

But, one serious suggestion: in case of this happening again, you may want to make an FB (FaceBook) page or even "group" as an alternative site where (at the least) you can post a "status message" to us all ... there are actually quite a lot of watch related FB groups & pages now.

diveboy

#9 Post by diveboy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 am

Time to move hosts. Network solutions are outdated.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

watchdoc

#10 Post by watchdoc » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:54 am

On the UPSIDE, IT'S CERTAINLY ONE WAY TO GENERATE BUZZ :lol:

A lot of conversations on other forums about what happened! :o
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!