Making URLs (links) Open in a New Browser Window

Share your suggestions, ideas and concerns about the forum
Movintage

Making URLs (links) Open in a New Browser Window

#1 Post by Movintage » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:09 am

Being a new member I've been very surprised to find that any links posted in threads on this forum don't automatically launch a new browser window for the new website. Instead, any of the posted links I've clicked on take over the forum's webpage forcing the user to use their browser navigation buttons to go back to the forum website they are on.

I'm sure others like me, not realizing that this is the forum's website behavior have inadvertently closed their browser window only to find themselves no longer on the forum.

If a Noob like myself can make a suggestion, hopefully this website's administration tools will allow for the automatic insertion of the following html attribute/anchor tag. Using the below attribute tag will allow all URLs (links) typed, pasted or otherwise inserted into a thread post open in a new browser (tab) window and leave the forum's webpage last viewed open.

By simply adding: target="_blank"

Example: Link without the attribute<a href="http://www.thesitewizard.com/">thesitewizard.com</a>

Example of same URL with new attribute<a href="http://www.thesitewizard.com/" target="_blank">thesitewizard.com</a>

Dave

Re: Making URLs (links) Open in a New Browser Window

#2 Post by Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:46 am

This would be a very desirable function for me. I always just assumed that this was a feature of the forum's template.

vintagehamiltons

#3 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:05 pm

I've sent your request to Admin.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

Movintage

#4 Post by Movintage » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:44 am

Thanks guys!
It probably is something as simple as checking a box or radio button in the template or other forum settings area.

watchdoc

#5 Post by watchdoc » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:23 am

I've always just right clicked on the link and chosen the "open in a new tab" feature. :|
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

retroworx

#6 Post by retroworx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 am

I've always just pressed the option button (on a Mac) while clicking the link and it opens in the separate window.
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

Movintage

#7 Post by Movintage » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:20 am

@ watchdoc & retroworx - all that's good for folks on a Mac, PC, or laptop. But for many that access via a portable (iPad, Smartphone, tablet, etc) we don't have those options.

Clicking on a link shouldn't take more than a single action. Not pointing, right clicking, and then clicking again or having to choose options then clicking.

Now I know this is a vintage watch forum, but seriously, not having links launch in a new browser window is soooo old school :P