Search Concerns

Share your suggestions, ideas and concerns about the forum
retroworx

Search Concerns

#1 Post by retroworx » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:00 pm

I know we are generally Hamilton-centric, but this is almost insulting! :lol:
search 1 .jpg
search 1 .jpg (28.19 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
No matter whether I searched "elgin oval" (in quotes) or +elgin +oval or just elgin oval, I get no joy: it returns 267 incidences of OVAL only.

Is this sort of thing happening consistently to others? I am beginning to worry that the wonderful and massive amount of knowledge we are storing here is not going to be as accessible as we hope. :|
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

Dave

Re: Search Concerns

#2 Post by Dave » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 pm

retroworx wrote:I know we are generally Hamilton-centric, but this is almost insulting! :lol:
search 1 .jpg
No matter whether I searched "elgin oval" (in quotes) or +elgin +oval or just elgin oval, I get no joy: it returns 267 incidences of OVAL only.

Is this sort of thing happening consistently to others? I am beginning to worry that the wonderful and massive amount of knowledge we are storing here is not going to be as accessible as we hope. :|
I get the same result. I'm not sure how to figure it out. I'll keep trying.

If you just search Elgin, it says that the term Elgin is excluded because it is too common. That is probably the issue right there.

retroworx

#3 Post by retroworx » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 am

I searched for "Square Engraved Hamilton and got the dread:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:

square engraved hamilton

You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

There is so much valuable information here on the forum but it cannot always be accessed. :cry: The more we make this the official repository, and the larger the pool of stored knowledge becomes, the more this becomes a concern.

Is there something I can do to help?

JerseyMo

#4 Post by JerseyMo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:23 am

What is the database protocol used on the back end? My first approach would be to run directly against it with a management tool and see if you get the same results.

Or, is it possible to run a debug via the website admin? This way you could step thru the query to see where in the code it raises an exception.

Or, is there any combination of options, check boxes, radio button options that is causing the issue?
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

JerseyMo

#5 Post by JerseyMo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 am

retroworx wrote:I searched for "Square Engraved Hamilton and got the dread:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:

square engraved hamilton

You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

There is so much valuable information here on the forum but it cannot always be accessed. :cry: The more we make this the official repository, and the larger the pool of stored knowledge becomes, the more this becomes a concern.

Is there something I can do to help?

I had success with this *lgin square

there is something distinct about adding the e ... I tried to search the web but without knowing what db and protocol the site is coded in, the results are endless. My guess is there is a limitation to the number of rows that can be returned. Or some such condition.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

diveboy

#6 Post by diveboy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:26 am

it's a phpbb feature called common word.

for an admin to fix, you need to disable the common word feature or reduce it, then delete the search index and re-create it.

issue is, phpbb has term'd Elgin too common as opposed to Hamilton. just more proof as to who the superior brand is on this forum.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

retroworx

#7 Post by retroworx » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:39 am

JerseyMo:

You are some kind of tech savant! I have been having trouble with searches here for a year, even Hamilton ones. Now all of the failed searches work if I put an "*" in as the first letter! For instance, "Square Engraved Hamilton" returned the "search ignored. . .too common" error, while "*quare *ngraved *amilton" gave me returns!

Crazy but true! Thanks for the workaround. :)

JerseyMo

#8 Post by JerseyMo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:55 am

retroworx wrote:JerseyMo:

You are some kind of tech savant! I have been having trouble with searches here for a year, even Hamilton ones. Now all of the failed searches work if I put an "*" in as the first letter! For instance, "Square Engraved Hamilton" returned the "search ignored. . .too common" error, while "*quare *ngraved *amilton" gave me returns!

Crazy but true! Thanks for the workaround. :)
NP, glad to help.

retroworx

#9 Post by retroworx » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:29 am

Hmmm, no longer working for me.

Looking for the thread on Elgin e7s and can't pull up anything, even using "*lgin". :(

ETA: Just tried this search: "Elgin two tone" and got this result :lol:

ignored: two elgin

retroworx

#10 Post by retroworx » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:23 am

So frustrating:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: square enamel."