Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why does this happen?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:10 am 

This is not a big deal for me, I'm just curious as to the technical explanation of what I'm about to describe.
When I send a PM to someone, I type my thoughts in sentences and paragraphs just like everybody else. I'm of the pre-computer generation and I was taught to indent paragraphs. When I type the content and use paragraph indentation, they appear as such until I hit submit and then the paragraph indentation is lost. Somehow there is something in the program that automatically justifies the indent left to the margin. THIS MUST END!! :lol:

Norm

Post subject: Re: Why does this happen?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:52 am 

I just add a space between paragraphs, which is also typical. ;) So, do you double space before the start of a new sentence?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:26 am 

vintagehamiltons wrote:
I just add a space between paragraphs, which is also typical. ;) So, do you double space before the start of a new sentence?

I never thought of doing that, great idea Tom :idea: , thanks!
Absolutely! In fact when I first heard the word "cursive" I didn't know what it meant :lol: I was raised on saying "script" ;)

Norm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:16 pm 

Actually, putting two spaces after the closing punctuation of a sentence is a typewriter convention, for use with monospace fonts. It was never done in professional typography. On the Web, we're almost always using proportionally fonts, and we should use only a single space.

Actually, they pages you are seeing on the Web are encoded in HTML, which is an application of XML. The rules in XML say that extra spaces are thrown away, and your Web browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Oxygen) does that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:40 am 

Code:
This is not a big deal for me, I'm just curious as to the technical explanation of what I'm about to describe.
   When I send a PM to someone, I type my thoughts in sentences and paragraphs just like everybody else.
   I'm of the pre-computer generation and I was taught to indent paragraphs. When I type the content and use paragraph indentation, they appear as such until I hit submit and then the paragraph indentation is lost.
    Somehow there is something in the program that automatically justifies the indent left to the margin. THIS MUST END!!   

and you can see the indent if you use the CODE tag. but as you see is kinda funky presentation. The issue is that you are bound to the rules of the text box you type in and are not able to use all the HMTL tags and other such web base presentation tools.

so how am I going to get a sentence to indent given the limited tags?
    Easy,use a list tag that you see above!
Now you can see and indent, yes?