Antique Furniture & Lamps

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
Findingtime

Antique Furniture & Lamps

#1 Post by Findingtime » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Anyone here also collect antique furniture or know someone trustworthy to get information from?

I have a lot of antique furniture, bronzes & lamps that I would like to get information on.

I believe most to be 1800's to early 1900's.

Thanks!
Adam

JerseyMo

Re: Antique Furniture & Lamps

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Although I don't collect furniture or lamps, I do have a few pieces. One of which is this lamp that I restored when I was about 14 or 15 years old.
It was a found item covered in silver radiator paint. Under it all was green onyx with all brass parts. the shade was added once I got it all back together again.
For some 35 years it was in use in the library of my parents home and I took it to my present home once they past on.
Attachments
DSC04386.JPG
DSC04386.JPG (111.61 KiB) Viewed 327 times
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

watchdoc

#3 Post by watchdoc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Findingtime wrote:Anyone here also collect antique furniture or know someone trustworthy to get information from?

I have a lot of antique furniture, bronzes & lamps that I would like to get information on.

I believe most to be 1800's to early 1900's.

Thanks!
Adam, although a lot of us collect antiques, it's a personal choice on what/ why etc. I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to "find out"?

Have you thought about contacting a local "Antiques Appraisal" firm in your area, although this can get pretty pricey, at least they should be able to tell you what you've got and approximate worth or value, usually in writing.

If you go this route, make sure you investigate the person/firm prior to signing on the dotted line, as some of them charge based on what value they assign to your goodies.
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

Findingtime

#4 Post by Findingtime » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:57 pm

I was hoping someone here collected or knew a reliable person/auction house to consign to and/or get appraisals. I've checked reviews of several people/firms and most are less than flattering.

I'm capable of selling the items myself if and when I know what I have, but i know nothing about antique furniture. My area is 1930's to 80's toys and character watches. I gladly help people with information on those items and was hoping someone out there did the same with furniture.

I wanted to check here, with the many people that I've dealt with before heading to a furniture forum.
Adam

watchdoc

#5 Post by watchdoc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm

if and when I know what I have, but i know nothing about antique furniture.
How much "furniture" are you talking about? One or two pieces, or a entire house full?
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

Findingtime

#6 Post by Findingtime » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:06 am

It's an entire collection/house full.

I got a lead from another forum member.

Thanks!
Adam