The one you can never catch...

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
Paleotime

The one you can never catch...

#1 Post by Paleotime » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:45 pm

I bet I have missed a 1927/28 Bulova Lone Eagle 10 times. Never far out of the running - I think the most I have missed by is $3.50. Just seem to be jinxed on that particular model...

It wouldn't bother me if I were bottom feeding - but argh! So Close!

How about y'all - anybody got a model that consistently escapes them on narrow margins?
"Percentage players die broke too..." - Fast Eddie in the Hustler

stryfox

Re: The one you can never catch...

#2 Post by stryfox » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:09 pm

Mostly E-series elgins. I have missed a few great ones by a few dollars.
I consistently see lesser quality ones go for more then I'll pay.
With the e series I keep waiting for the right ones.
I lost on a really nice one not too long ago. I should have gone higher.
Live and learn.

inatime

#3 Post by inatime » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Been there, done that! Had a few out of reach by $2-5 by last minute/second snipers. Not sure if these snipes are somebody actually watching with their finger on the return key or a service ( probably both).

But alas, those I lose, there's another that I win.
Patrick

Paleotime

#4 Post by Paleotime » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for the support...I really don't mind on the more common models. But the ones you only get a shot at a couple times of year annoy me.

I thought I was jinxed on my Illinois hunt. I bid (sniping) on probably half-a-dozen New Yorkers before I finally scored mine. This is worse - at least 10 over maybe 4 yrs.
Indeed...though I had been not buying for months - trying to catch up on my projects. My discipline never lasts for long...

Dave

#5 Post by Dave » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:07 pm

inatime wrote:Been there, done that! Had a few out of reach by $2-5 by last minute/second snipers. Not sure if these snipes are somebody actually watching with their finger on the return key or a service ( probably both).

The winning bidder may have placed a bid much higher than yours. When the auction is over, they only have to pay an incremental bid above your highest bid.

Let's say that they placed a $200 bid on the first day of the auction. If the next highest bidder bids $100, the first bidder only has to pay $105 (not the $200 they placed as their maximum bid).

HamiltonIllinois

#6 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I remember long ago when eBay allowed bidders to see each other easily I ALWAYS seemed to lose out as the underbidder to this "Nookster##" guy on eBay... and I would get SO annoyed. :mrgreen: Eventually when I won a 14K Tonneau and he was the underbidder... and I immediately presumed I MUST have overpaid. :roll:
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

Paleotime

#7 Post by Paleotime » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:18 pm

The winning bidder may have placed a bid much higher than yours. When the auction is over, they only have to pay an incremental bid above your highest bid.
For sure...But generally you are pretty close to market if you are in the top two on a competitive item...
I remember long ago when eBay allowed bidders to see each other easily I ALWAYS seemed to lose out as the underbidder to this "Nookster##" guy on eBay... and I would get SO annoyed. :mrgreen: Eventually when I won a 14K Tonneau and he was the underbidder... and I immediately presumed I MUST have overpaid. :roll:
LOL...Well I am impressed you held no grudge...

HamiltonIllinois

#8 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Paleotime wrote:
LOL...Well I am impressed you held no grudge...
LOL, I did say I was annoyed THEN. This was maybe 12 years ago. Eventually I was introduced to him by a mutual acquaintance. And once he kindly sold me a few terrific watches at fair prices, I was glad that he owned them -- because at least I knew where to find the good stuff! :D
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

Paleotime

#9 Post by Paleotime » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:52 am

And once he kindly sold me a few terrific watches at fair prices, I was glad that he owned them -- because at least I knew where to find the good stuff!
I can see how that would have a soothing effect...

BTW...Missed another last night - usually you have to wait for this model to come up. Often months apart. There have been 3 in 2-3 wks. One was a fresh redial so I didn't bid.

Argh. Second place again - the third place bidder dropped out $20+ dollars below me.

I did however win a couple of parts movement lots that I needed to finish some stuff up and have more parts stock for the future. So that is good...

diveboy

#10 Post by diveboy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:12 pm

not that I couldn't catch it, just couldn't find it.

Ladies 25 year service award watch for ENWCo, finally secured one.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder