International Dial not answering phone or emails

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
vintagehamiltons

Re: International Dial not answering phone or emails

#11 Post by vintagehamiltons » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 pm

So, since I was complaining about ID a couple months ago, I need to give credit when it's deserved.

I mailed a printed Greenwich dial on Thursday. They received it Monday and it's finished today (Tuesday). I just paid for it, and if it goes out in tomorrow's mail, I could have it Friday or Saturday. I don't know if a quicker turn-around is possible. Props to ID!
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

retroworx

#12 Post by retroworx » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:38 am

Good to hear!
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

afire

#13 Post by afire » Tue May 23, 2017 12:37 pm

I had a watchmaker accidentally rub off part of the logo on one of my dials that International had previously refinished. I finally got around to sending it back for a re-refinish. They got it yesterday and it's done today, no charge. I emailed Robert to clarify that their original work wasn't defective, the logo was rubbed off after the fact and that I expected to be charged the normal fee. He responded within the hour saying he understood, but still no charge.

I'm sure like most businesses and people, communications are better at some times than others, but overall, ID has always been a pleasure to deal with in my experience.
Real men wear small watches.

Nookster

#14 Post by Nookster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

Who else do you folks use? I have a white T-403 I am restoring and Rob said he no longer can get or has the grey paint.

Wonder if you guys have any luck with other dial refinishers and who do you like?
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

JackW

#15 Post by JackW » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am

I just used Kirk Rich in California.

I've mixed feelings about the results on the work. It looks good, for the fonts and the printing but they left a small flaw in the minutes track where it intersects with the subseconds track.

More expensive than ID.

Robert told me that he was nearly out of a black material, that was what Gruen used. That was 2 years ago.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

Nookster

#16 Post by Nookster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 am

Rob seems to be out of everything lately. I don't think he's into it anymore, just has the basic white, black, butler, corals and gilt colors. I would not think it's hard to find grey, or you don't use it that much, but when you base is growing smaller, you
you think you would want to keep the few customers you have left happy.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

retroworx

#17 Post by retroworx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:27 am

I sent a white T-403 dial in to I.D. in January of 2016 and had an email exchange with Rob about why they could no longer handle refinishing gray dials. I think it would be okay with him if I share it here, as it is educational regarding plating versus paint:
regarding the colors on the T-403.. . .This dial has a tu-tone background that requires two different plating solutions. We first put on a silver finish, mask off what we want to remain silver then plate the second color over the first and then remove the mask. This requires PLATING not PAINTING. We used to have a grey plating solution that we used on a very limited basis. This plating solution is not available anywhere that we know of. Its kind of like the black. We could not get it anywhere so we used paint for years. We then found an old formula for the black solution and as far as we know we are the only ones who have it. I have tried for years to locate a gray solution but have not been able to find one that works.
I then asked him if any kind of gray paint compromise would work as a substitute to the plating. His answer:
I can not do your dial with paint as there is no way to mask it off. It would also most likely chip and crack over time. This is the reason almost no dials are painted. (at least vintage dials)
Mark, it sounds to me like more of a vintage products supply issue, than an unwillingness to help you out. ;)
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/