Hello Old Friends

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
salleh

Hello Old Friends

#1 Post by salleh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:19 am

.....It has been 4 years since I last strode these halls of watch learning and sharing.....but you all were never far from my mind ...I was starting to make jewelry from vingage watches when it all of a sudden took off in a rush, and I was swept away with all the work I found myself doing ......Now before you condemn me, ...let me tell you how I approach my work ....

.....I have never lost my love and respect for vintage watches .....and having learned quite a lot here about what are rare and unique watches .....I continue to respect them as watches ....but that leaves me with a whole lot of ordinary but lovely watches to play with .....and I think I have done more to awaken people amazement at how wonderful those old watches are with the way I make the jewelry...unlike steampunk people ...I do NOT take apart watch movements ( ok, I will do so with dollar pocket watches , the common variety ) ...but a jeweled movement is such a thing of beauty that I use the entire movement ...or I use the dial .....

....I have tried, but simply cannot take apart a complete watch to use it's insides ....so I let the philistines sell the cases off for gold, and I buy the insides, both dial and movement when I can ....when I am using pocket watch movements ( 99% are Elgin or Waltham, for their gorgeous damaskeening) I always check each one for it's rarity, and value using that pocket watch site for serial number look up ....and I never forget to say ...yes this is the watch I have .so as to add to the general knowledge .....and the tag on the piece of jewelry has the date it was made, what size, and how many jewels ( this is for pocket watch movements) what with ELgin and Waltham making a million pocket watches a year up to the 1930s at least, there's quite a lot of "ordinary" movements around ...and while ;they no longer tell the time, they are easily as admired for their quality and workmanship as any complete pocket watch .....and by far more people .....

....Anyway ....you should see the people's faces when they look upon those beautiful watch movements ....and this is from both men and women, from a child of 5 or 6 up to ....well, let's just say ....as old as anyone who hasn't yet been rendered immobile by age .....one and all they are awestruck at the beauty and complexity of these movements.....

....I speak to them about the conditions that these watches were made under, and that this product was made by people who were respected for their skills, and valued by their employers, and companies they worked for ...and that they had the best conditions to work in, and perks that most modern employees would love to have ....watches were products of love by their makers .....IN this day and age .....that's a rare thing to own .....

.....I talk about Hamilton's"applied gold numbers" and jaws drop ! .....

....I make what I call "Tiny Dial Bracelets" ....made from womens watches from the 30s to the 60s .....and many of them have uncleanable dials...so I remove the paint ....revealing a gorgeous mostly satin base metal, sometimes silver, sometimes silver with brass numbers, sometimes copper numbers.....some come up all brass or all copper ( the most rare) and thank goodness the great majority of those dials have raised numbers, obviously can't do that with painted on dials !

....ANyway ...I make several different types of jewelry for both men and women.....and love what I do ....I am proud of how it looks .....( oh and I found a place in Michigan that has uncovered about 1500 Victorian molds, of which I can use about 100 of their designs....and that is what I use to back the dials or movements ...they look perfect.......100 to 120 year old designs with a 80 to 120 year old dials or movements .....they are made for eah other .....)

.....SO, having been a teacher, and having spent hours and hours here, and scouring ebay for those vintage watches....I tend to talk a lot about the watches.....and people love to hear it....and it's you guys who taught me almost all I know .....it does crack me up when someone will be amazed at how much I know about watches ....because in all honesty I have to tell them I am a rank amatuer when it comes to real knowledge about watches ......and I think of you guys every time .....and have been known to brag about you too ....oh ..you should see the guys on my vintage watch forum !! now THEY know watches !! ...and I'll tell them of the "wars" between the Hamilton folks and the Omega folks for the prettiest watches .....and how experts on their own particular favorite brand watch people can tell if a dial is redone just by looking at a photo, or if the right dial is with the right hands in the correct case ! ....now that's knowledge I tell them .....and about how some of you have so many watches in their collection that you wear them in rotation .....

....This site, and others like it live in a rarified air ....much like art collectors or vintage car collectors .....the knowledge is deep and wide about that particular subject ......had the watch sales been enough, I would have stayed doing that .....but I have to earn an almost a living .....and the jewelry does better consistantly ...an ordinary day of jewelery sales is equal to what was a great day of watch sales ......and at crafts fairs I do as much as `10 times as I ever did with watches .....plus I get to make stuff ! ....I have been an artist & craftsperson since I was about 4 years old ....it is who I am .....and I get to school folks on the wonder of a mechanical watch...

.... A couple more things .....there was one of you who sent me watches to sell for him, and I am embarrassed to say I can't remember his name, so if this is you....let me know and I have a Wittenaur left that is yours .....we are square on every other watch .... and I want to return this watch .....

.....Then, I have a Brietling chronograph movement ( Venus, don't know the number) and dial that I want to sell....the dial is a metalic gold color with sub dials at 12 and 6 ...the hour numbers are slightly deeper gold and outlined in black .....I think the movement is complete, but no pushers, ( if they were even part of the watch ) and the dial is in about a C+ condition ....mostly little black fettins showing .....no major scratches or dents.....wristwatch

...I also have a F W Kriest chronograph pocketwatch to sell, it lacks the dial and the crystal but the back of the case ( a double ) crown and top loop are there .....I tried to find out about it ....not much out there, but the WW1 ones I saw had a much simpler movement than this one .....this movement looks much like the Brietling .....

...I'll get some photos for them soon if anyone would like .....

..Hope you are all well and finding your hearts desires in watches .....
What a long strange trip it's been......

vintagehamiltons

Re: Hello Old Friends

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 am

Nice to see you post again. Don't be a stranger.

giphy_zpsqkxx3wqp.GIF
giphy_zpsqkxx3wqp.GIF (1.08 MiB) Viewed 660 times
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

retroworx

#3 Post by retroworx » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:30 am

Welcome back to the fold!
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

441victor

#4 Post by 441victor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Well hello back my friend. I've wondered what happened to you from time to time and even asked others if they had heard from you. It brought a tear to my eye to see your name on a post again. It's good to know you're still looking at the grass from the right side. I knew there was someone out there who was getting people cranked up about vintage watches, have you looked at the ebay prices lately, but didn't know it was you. Sounds like your new career could be a resource if you're looking at that many movements. If you're willing, I can send you a list of movements I'm always looking for and I'll see if I can beat the jewelry price. Otherwise welcome back and show off some of your new work. Joel

Nookster

#5 Post by Nookster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am

Welcome back! We need more users here, any suggestions?
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

randy van

#6 Post by randy van » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 am

It seems like a lot of new collectors - meaning mostly young - are in the Facebook Hamilton/Illinois/etc groups. Most may be unaware of VWF. I will try to put some links to information contained here, which hopefully will get some to see the huge amount of knowledge and experience on this site. We all need to publicize VWF.

retroworx

#7 Post by retroworx » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:15 am

randy van wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 am
It seems like a lot of new collectors - meaning mostly young - are in the Facebook Hamilton/Illinois/etc groups. Most may be unaware of VWF. I will try to put some links to information contained here, which hopefully will get some to see the huge amount of knowledge and experience on this site. We all need to publicize VWF.
Oh, I really wish someone would do this — the misinformation on the Facebook sites is killing me. . . .

retroworx

#8 Post by retroworx » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 am

randy van wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 am
I will try to put some links to information contained here, which hopefully will get some to see the huge amount of knowledge and experience on this site.
Oh, I really wish someone would do this — the misinformation on the Facebook sites is killing me. . . .

salleh

#9 Post by salleh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:00 am

ON the subject of bringing new people to the site ......I have several people a day who stop just because they love old watches .....I shall endeavor to remember to tell them about our wonderful site .....I DO mention my "vintage watch forum " quite a lot .....but I should make it clear that it's also the name of an exact forum !......

ANd I took some mediocre photos of those 2 chronograph movements I spoke of in my post at the top of this ....and can't get it to go and live on my photobucket site for some reason ......then I got really busy, cause I have a big craft show this weekend ....down in the Silicon valley area ....leaving in about 6 or 7 hours......but I wanted to stop by here and check on you all

Oh and I remembered the person I am looking for is Dennis who lives in New Jersey ! a big Omega person.....
What a long strange trip it's been......

ulackfocus

#10 Post by ulackfocus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 pm

salleh wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:00 am

Oh and I remembered the person I am looking for is Dennis who lives in New Jersey ! a big Omega person.....
Hi Sally!!!! Evan / gatorcpa tipped me off to this thread since I don’t frequent watch forums as often as I used to. How are you? PM me for real world contact information.