Real Men Wear Small Watches

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
afire

Real Men Wear Small Watches

#1 Post by afire » Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 am

That's been my signature line for a while, indicative of my wish to destigmatize the diminutive size of many watches of the 1920s and 1930s that I'm so fond of. But today I happened to stumble upon some evidence that this is actually the case.

Exhibit A - Hubert Scott-Paine, head of Supermarine Aviation Works, Ltd., aircraft and boat designer (including the WWII PT boats), record-breaking power boat racer, entrepreneur, and inventor. Certainly a "man's man" by any standard. Check out his watch:

Any guesses? Too small to be even a Hamilton Donovan, and it appears to have single lugs. I think it might be a duo-dial watch, at least it vaguely looks to me that what might be the main register might be offset. But it's more square than any of the Gruen or Longines ladies duo-dial watches. They were mostly baguette shaped. Anyway, that's my odd contribution for today.
Real men wear small watches.

JerryT

Re: Real Men Wear Small Watches

#2 Post by JerryT » Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 pm

The proportions look about right for a Waltham 5-1/4 ligne rectangular watch. Here is a be-jeweled example for the ladies, but these could have been placed in a simpler case.
7436o2.jpg
7436o2.jpg (184.47 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Thanks, too, for the promotion of smaller watches. My own preference is a 6/0 Waltham.

Magpie

#3 Post by Magpie » Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 am

The proportions look about right for a Waltham 5-1/4 ligne rectangular watch. Here is a be-jeweled example for the ladies, but these could have been placed in a simpler case.

Great hypothesis, Jerry!

Since Hubert Scott-Paine was British, I started wondering whether the watch might have been in a Dennison case with a movement imported from Waltham or Elgin (or perhaps be just some Swiss movement).

Tank

#4 Post by Tank » Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am

Humphrey Bogart wore a lot of small watches, he apparently had quite a few from the many pictures I've seen of him sporting several different watches. I doubt if anyone were brave enough to tell him his watches weren't manly enough.