Caution to eBay Sellers re Item Condition

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
retroworx

Caution to eBay Sellers re Item Condition

#1 Post by retroworx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 am

Hey, Folks, I just noticed a wonky change to the condition settings eBay is making available for watch sales.

Previously, a watch listed with the "Pre-Owned" designation covered vintage watches that were both working or not working. Here is the old standard for the Pre-Owned designation:

condition descriptions.jpg
condition descriptions.jpg (153.76 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Very recently I noticed this change to the conditions options:

ebay condition.jpg
ebay condition.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Notice that:

1) "Pre-Owned" now seemingly only covers a "fully operational" watch with no issues. So for instance, if the watch keeps time, but the date does not turn over, it looks like it should no longer belong in this category. So what category should it be instead? Which brings us to . . .

2) There is no longer any condition category for a watch that is running but has any issue! Go figure.

In case you think this will not be a problem because you will just list the watch as Pre-Owned (as you always have) and then detail any issues in the actual listing description, know that there are plenty of buyers who are never going to read that far, and who are now being told that Pre-Owned entitles them to a perfectly functioning vintage piece. (I am on an eBay forum, and this issue is already coming up — watch buyers are already being backed by eBay for returns because the item was listed as "Pre-Owned", despite any condition caveats correctly outlined in the description.)

I hope this is some sort of roll-out glitch and that eBay resolves this soon. They are really misleading the buyers, and giving sellers no proper designation for a vintage watch that has any functional issues, which may include slow runner, non-runner, stiff stem, etc.
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

Wynot

Re: Caution to eBay Sellers re Item Condition

#2 Post by Wynot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on this. As I sell on eBay, I called them this morning to ask about this change. I was transferred three times and was ultimately told I should complete a survey form suggesting future changes (which I did). Pretty worthless. I specifically asked what category to use for a non-working vintage gold watch. She said I'd have to use one of those currently available. It's either that or don't list it. At least I'm on record that, unless they can provide a proper category, they should be prepared to reimburse everyone for fees and shipping. Again, thank you for bringing attention to this.

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm

This is not quite right but, it is closer since it states that there are issues. I would rather it be called As Is \ found.

For parts or not working -
An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, items that are locked or can't be activated, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

stryfox

#4 Post by stryfox » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm

Selling on eBay only gets more and more frustrating. I always put an honest description but there are some buyers that are just dishonest and eBay tends to side with the buyer. I have had watches returned with parts missing. On those I just lost money. E-bay didn’t want to hear it. This sounds even worse for sellers.
My watches on instagram,
https://www.instagram.com/fth_classic_timepieces

Watches serviced and ready to go at,
http://fthclassictimepieces.com

JerseyMo

#5 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:07 pm

okay this is funny now - I just listed 3 watch catalogs in

Jewelry & Watches>Watches, Parts & Accessories>Parts, Tools & Guides>Manuals & Guides

and the drop down still has "seller refurbished" :) can you refurbish a guide?
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

retroworx

#6 Post by retroworx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm
This is not quite right but, it is closer since it states that there are issues. I would rather it be called As Is \ found.

For parts or not working -
Mo, that description would indeed be fine, but it is not an option in the Wristwatch category — there is no "For Parts/Not Working" dropdown there. That's the problem. ;)

retroworx

#7 Post by retroworx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:19 am

Wynot wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:51 pm
Thanks for the heads-up on this.
You are welcome. Crazy, isn't it?

I am not at all surprised that you didn't get anywhere on the phone with eBay, but hats off to you for trying, LOL.

I would never have noticed the change they made to the wristwatch Pre-Owned definition it hadn't been brought up by a buyer on an eBay forum I visit.

Thanks again, eBay. :roll:

Wynot

#8 Post by Wynot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 pm

It looks like eBay has been busy. Have you seen the announcement about Adyen?

Nookster

#9 Post by Nookster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am

interesting
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast