Is Discussing Fakes Condoning It?

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
stryfox

Re: Is Discussing Fakes Condoning It?

#21 Post by stryfox » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:15 am

I think we all draw our line in the sand in a different spot.
Many work right near or around the line solely for the purpose of profit.
If I'm a step away from my line I figure I am too close and pass on buying it.
This is the analogy I use. Hence why I have no problem owning a homage watch or an elgin with an incorrect but close and real elgin dial.
A longines dial on a one jewel junk movement? Yea I want no part of it. I have actually thrown a couple of those fake dials in the trash but kept the movements to steal parts for other cheap one jewel watches like some character watches.

alicec13

#22 Post by alicec13 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16 pm

GLADIATOR wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:54 pm
I fully agree against buying, wearing or repairing fakes.
I buy for one reason only, to let participants of my course tell the difference from genuine.

I am also against "proofing" with details watches on forums - I am happy to state my opinion "authentic or fake" mutuelles Entreprise but not explain all the reasons therefore helping the faker or 'EBay" seller "dupe" people

Thanks your thoughts
adam
But it is still necessary to know how to determine the false truths. In any case, I do not know how to do.

Nookster

#23 Post by Nookster » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:48 pm
I work for a music company so am well aware of the impact of piracy and how so many I knew lost their positions because of it.
Did you watch the Defiant ones one HBO, it's gets into how the whole music industry was wiped out because of the internet and Napster.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

JerseyMo

#24 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 am

Nookster wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 am
JerseyMo wrote:
I work for a music company so am well aware of the impact of piracy and how so many I knew lost their positions because of it.
Did you watch the Defiant ones one HBO, it's gets into how the whole music industry was wiped out because of the internet and Napster.
Not familiar with the show so can't comment much.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Movintage

#25 Post by Movintage » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Nookster wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 am
JerseyMo wrote:
Nookster, must be another HBO series that you're watching because the Defiant Ones that I'm watching on HBO is all about music producer Jimmy Lovine and his relationship with Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, JJ Fad, Ice Cube, Tupac and the other Compton Gangsta rappers who made up N.W.A. and their defiance and battles with LAPD while making music. It also delves into Lovines affair with Stevie Nicks, his tight relationship with Tom Petty, and his Intrascope record label. GREAT show with amazing interviews.
Funny how different people's perspectives can be. A person sees and hears what they want to.

sighduck

#26 Post by sighduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi guys, first time poster here. I figured this may be a relevant thread to ask an off-topic question:

A few years ago my grandfather in Taiwan gave me a watch, and I was and still am a complete beginner to watches. I only JUST realized it was an automatic and am trying to learn more about it - Is there anything special about it? Does it have any value? Either way, I will definitely be keeping the watch for sentimental reasons and will even wear it, I'm simply in pursuit of knowledge about it.

So on to the watch itself.. On the dial is a "Mondy Carlo" name, this is clearly a knockoff and after some Googling without anything turn up I figure it's probably quite a bad knockoff. It seems to work as when I shake it a bit the dial runs. I've attached two photos of the front/back for your viewing pleasure.

Apologies if this is in the completely wrong place to post, but I am curious about it and will be happy to move to the correct location.

Thanks!